Friday, October 22, 2010

Let a Little Light In!

Although my checklist of apartment requirements was miles long (I was told by several apartment management people that they felt like they had taken an exam by the time I was through with them), there was one thing I didn't ask about that I should have: lighting.

At the time, I was so caught up in safety and price and how much a pet deposit was that I didn't focus on things like lighting (or ugly brown carpet, oy). Therefore, certain corners of my apartment sometimes looks like this:

Dark shadows live in this corner! :P

I'm on the top floor of my apartment building, meaning my living room has less lighting than the other floors do. Why, you ask? Because instead of having a wall-sized sliding door like the lower floors, I have a fireplace. Which I'm sure I'll love when it gets chilly if I can get over the fear of burning the place down. But sometimes I wish I had more light instead.

Also, I guess it doesn't help that I keep my blinds and curtains closed as much as possible because I like living in a cave to keep the apartment cool (gotta reduce those electric bills!) And that's not gonna change til Texas actually cools off in December or so *shakes fist, cursing Texas heat*

So I have to find a way to bring in some more light into the apartment.

I've already added three table lamps to my bedroom, a floor lamp in my living room, and another floor lamp in my dining room- but it's not enough! Particularly in the living room. Yeah, in that corner where all the shadows are growing. But I don't have much floor space so I didn't want to add the necessary table for a table lamp, and I wasn't sure I wanted a third standing lamp. So my idea? Hanging paper globe lanterns!

I've had my eye out for them for quite a while now. I found some at World Market that were $6-$10 depending on the size, which wasn't too bad, but I'd also have to spend $10 on a cord/light socket for each of them. But then I found a set of ten at Target for $20! That's $2 each! AND they included the needed cords and stuff! I was sold. Granted, they're small but maybe I'll like the look of several small hanging lanterns better than a couple big ones. And if I don't, I can always return them :P

Anyone else have one of those dark corners/rooms? How did you bring in light (especially if you don't have much room to work with)?

Next post will hopefully include a picture of this same corner but with a whole new glow! Wish me luck on my first (semi) light installment.

Much love,
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment