Tuesday, October 19, 2010

HAAAALLLLLLOOOOOOWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!

I'm a little excited that Halloween's gonna be here soon. Ok I'm REALLY excited!! I've been excited since August!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!

Since I've had Halloween on the brain for months, I had plenty of time to develop a decorating game plan. Even though my heart was screaming "spiderweb and skeletons and cauldrons and witches and fog machine and fake blood and coffin and strobe light!" my brain was screaming "get ahold of yourself! You know you can't spend hundreds of dollars on decorations that you'll only pull out once a year!" All the while I cursed Martha Stewart and her skills/money out of pure, green jealousy.

Oh Martha, how I envy your skills and money
Since Martha-price range of decor isn't an option, I'll just use what I have and make a few cheap purchases to spruce it up! All the cool decorating bloggers (like Sherry from Young House Love and Katie from Bower Power and Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick) are doing it! So I can do it too!

Right?

...Ok, it may not be quite that easy. See, I moved in with pretty much nothing binders full of old exams and a bunch of Warhol posters, so I don't yet have an army of votives and cake stands and vase fillers and table runners at my command *sniffle* (My goal is to one day I can have my own in-house decor store, but until then I just have to build up my repertoire!)

Don't get me wrong though, I have made a FEW purchases since moving in so I'm not working with absolutely nothing- plus, I welcome a challenge! So lets take a look at what I DO have that could maybe be used for something cool and Halloweeny:

  • Black wooden votive holder I snagged from home (thanks mom!)
  • A couple cheap glass vases
  • Plain white cereal bowls (could be used for candy!)
  • Dead Dried flowers
  • Small painted black cat statue (thanks again mom!) 
  • Black cat "Moon Kitty" print that was already in one of my frames
  • My "kinda-creepy-if-you-think-about-it" ornate frame that already has a construction paper pumpkin in it
  • More construction paper
  • Black fabric leftover from the squares
  • A few black and white scarves (aka possible runners?)
  • Suuuuuuperrrr crrreeeepy black cat! Yes I'm including Mochi in my Halloween decor :P

Alrighty! Not a horribly scary start!

I'll let you know what I come up with in the next post. In the meantime, I'm off to Target and Hobbs to the Lobbs to find some cheap Halloween decor :)

Much love,
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment